Uses of a screw gauge:
- The thickness of a metal sheet is expressed in gauge number. By finding the thickness of a metal sheet in m.m. by using a screw gauge, we can know its gauge number. For example, if the thickness of a sheet is 5.16 m.m., then the gauge number will be 6. If the thickness of a sheet is 0.953 mm, then the gauge number will be 10. To know gauge number for various thickness use a conversion table.
- The diameter of a wire is expressed in American wire gauge size. By finding the diameter of a wire after removing the insulation of the wire in mm by using a screw gauge, the gauge size can be obtained. For example, if the metric size of a wire is 52 mm, then A.W.G. size will be '0'. If the metric size of a wire is 5 mm, then A.W.G., size will be 10. To know A.W.G. size for various metric sizes of a wire use a conversion table.
- Screw gauge is used to find the diameter of a steel rod that is used in the construction of a building.
- It is used in the industry to manufacture components of a machine with required measurements.
- As this instrument is used to measure the gauge of a metal sheet or a wire, it is named as screw gauge.